Thursday, June 11, 2009

Turn your head and laugh

Many things could be said about this production of Moliere's The Imaginary Invalid, most of which are simply that it is delightfully funny. This time around i was charged with critiquing the directing of the show, and seeing as I have had previous experince with this show I feel it is an appropriate note to end upon.
I feel that the director chose the actors appropriately for this production with a few exceptions. I felt that the wise cracking Toinette was really toned down in this production, but Argon was a perfect choice. He really portrayed the severe hypochondriac that is Argon's character perfectly and looked really frail which is an excellent choice. Angelique was cute and all, but she was not as the I'd come to believe the character should be from witnessing other works of Moliere. It was strange, as it worked to an extent, but I found her rather annoying at times rather than sypathetic as her and her simalar characters from Moliere's other works have portrayed her previously.
The stage was relatively unimpressive as seeing three works of Moliere and the stage set up hasn't changed once. Not one time. Each time the same set up of a flat wall and two smaller walls creating a trapezoid room. But it's a formula that works as is evident nearly every time.
All in all I feel he made some interesting choices, although quite perlexing at times more than entertaining, and I left feeling really, genuinely entertained and delighted.

1 comment:

AlexAshton said...

Yeah I kind of found the daughter annoying at times. her voice got a little toooo whiney at some points. Good blogg :)