Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Ember's Imaginary Invalid Post

On Saturday night, not realising that the parade was going to go down, I went to see The Imaginary Invalid since I had my choir final the night that the class was to go see it. I have to admit I was interested because as a class project in high school, we did Moliere's The Love Doctor. Now, I have to admit that within moments of the start of the play, I found myself disappointed that the assigned topic was simply the stage space. Please don't get me wrong, the Winningstad Theatre is a nice space, but as you guys will probably see the best parts were probably script and acting because there was so much to say about. Now, I probably have a slightly unique perspective because the address I had seen on the website was to that of the box office, which is located across the street and one block down, and didn't get into the theatre until after the overture had begun. Because of this slight lateness, they placed me in one of the upper tiers of seating for the first act and said I could go to my proper seat during the second act, which is what I did.And as for the stage space. The Winningstad is proscenium arch theatre inside the Center for the Performing Arts. From an actors perspective it would be amazing to do a production there...with the exception of I don't know how the wings and backstage is set up, and for some reason what seemed to be one of the technical crew decided to just come out behind the stage right curtain during intermission. The proscenium arch stage can be viewed from five different levels. Above the ground flooring(where you have the seats people are assigned to sit are) it is almost like having box seats, except in this case the box goes around to be three quarters, suggesting that you can take out the ground seating and make it a thrust stage. The wood these boxes are composed of give a very antique feel to the place making it have a character that kind of ignited some excitement in me. From the tier I was sitting in to something that was like a box skeleton hanging on the ceiling where some of the lights were, the wood was used for it all. Thinking about it, it seemed to have a regal feeling to it. Overall it was an interesting and wonderful space, but I stand by my opening opinion that it wasn't the best part of the experience for this particular production.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Yeah, I could see how you could feel gyped just commenting on the stage. But that's what these comments are for. :) And I did want to see the show from one of the "balconies". Bet that was an experience!