Friday, April 24, 2009

Challenging others to think about homelessness in a different light.. Enlightening.

Wonderful play with a lot of insight to people that we are not comfortable seeing in life. I was not expecting much from Louie's at 1st & Main, with little to no budget and a very small stage space. Frankly, I was very surprised! I absolutely loved it:) Sometimes taking a small space and a smaller audience works out quite well, for this play it was just that, well done. In fact, I do not think it would be as good if it were done in a large theatre with a large audience. Having a small space allows the audience to have to pay attention to all of the aspects of the world of this man who is on the street. It may be uncomfortable for some people but sometimes you have to do that to get people to pay attention and get more out of it that skeptism. A lot of people do not understand that kind of life. I have to be honest and say that I am still one of them. This play gave me a glimpse into a different world, not always fair and not always right, but that is life. The truth is not always the truth. Some people truly believe they know why someone is in a certain situation but you cannot truly know unless you have or are living their life. Because I can say that I have not had to live on the streets before I do not know what that kind of life would really be like. I really believe that with the smaller space they have to tell their story it really forces the audience to think in a different way, challenging what they may have thought before. Dimitri is just an intelligent man who did the best he could and wants to believe in human decency, even when that is challenged. From watching the play, you see that in everyday life, people believing against all odds that there are still others out there that care. It is hard to believe with all of the violence and negativity from others around the world due to not understanding or not being in that particular situation. Anyone can make a difference, just believing in yourself and others. I really believe that Dimitri made a difference for several of passby's who at first judged him and then got to know him. The stage space could not have been used better in my opinion.

Thank you,
Tracy :)

1 comment:

Jordan said...

You have some really good insight hear Tracy. I think the space was good to, forcing people to get to know the character.