Thursday, April 23, 2009

C-Span this Ain't...

I was a little wary about this production, I must admit. I'm not a big political guy, and a full show about political controversy, even if it was the Nixon controversy, was not exactly inviting. But this show exceeded my expectation from the start. The script of this show was put together really well. It was witty and biting, with characters that an audience could have fun with. One of the things I wondered about this script that I wonder about is how close to life the text stayed. With a historical basis like this there are many things that were actually said, and actually done. Did the author research into these characters, interviewing and prying into the past, or did he just put down what could have happened? Either way, I really enjoyed it. The scene where Nixon drunk-dials Frost was brilliantly written. I liked that there were two narrators for the show, one from each "side". It gave a well-rounded picture of what happened. And I liked how Jim transitioned from narrator to active character by merely picking up the phone. This show passed my expectations and then some, bringing the story of history to life in all its colors and glory. I would recommend this play to anyone, regardless of their political background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The script was well written and historically fabulous.

I actually looked up some of the Frost/Nixon videos and the interviews were quite accurate. Props to the writer.

Jordan said...

I have the same questions about the text. I wonder how accurate all the conversations were that were not being recorded. Did the director or writer find all the old discussions had by the men acted or were they merily based on a hunch.