Thursday, May 28, 2009

In Soviet Russia... you know the rest...

This (last) week I was given the task of evaluating the acting of Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters, and as some of my fellow classmates can attest I took several notes. As a whole I think I expected something different from Chekhov; from what I had heard the plays of Chekhov were supposed to be mostly dark humor, some tragic circumstances, but ultimately sticking more of a comedic nature. I apparently didn't catch that this show was not going to be a comedy. Mostly I feel a tad bit depressed by this show, but it was entertaining in its own rights.

Lets get this part over with early on; the Baron. I've been told he was supposed to be comic relief in many instances, but mostly I found him to be more of a dry comic in his role when it felt like he was intending to portray sadness. For the remainder of the show I was at a loss for what his true, intended purpose was. He struck me as more of a comedic specialty actor, even though his background in the program said otherwise, and it made it seem like he forced his part a bit. I could not for the life of me tell when he was making a joke or just saying a line.

Irina was spot on. Period. She really captured that whole "child in a hurry to grow up" idea, and it really took off from there. She is the character we see, quite possibly, the most often and she really cemented a place in the show for me. She felt sad, I saw it. She feels happy, I see it. A wonderful job by her. Her emotions were genuine and her expressions were big, bright and bold.

Possibly one of my biggest surprises, and personal favorite part, was the Doctor. The old family friend who I originally thought was there to offer fatherly advice to the girls when times got tough(er) but I didn't know if he would have much of an extended character, in this particular case to have more depth and emotion to his character. His drunken and sloppy entrance in Act Three made it quite clear I was wrong about that. I had heard that Chekhov's plays played very heavily with stereotypes, but the Drunk being a Medic was a twist I didn't expect. And his secret confession was truly wonderful. Bravo!

While on the subject of the secret confession, let's switch our focus over to the second party present during that scene. The Schoolteacher, Masha's husband, started out as a flat, one-dimensional character in my eyes. He ended the show as an enigma. Couldn't figure out what was going through his mind to save my life. His character really made a full one-hundred eighty degree turn with me. The level of complex emotions he must have felt as that character must have been astounding.

All in all, it was a good production. Not my favorite, but a good production. The actors of Artist Repatory Theatre must be very proud.

2 comments:

Jordan said...

I agree with you on this. All in all it was a good production just something I would not watch again.

Ben said...

Yeah, expecting a comedy was definitely setting yourself up for an interesting night... I for one liked the Baron though. He had a happy-go-lucky attitude that I think served the character well in all the dark times. And I loved Irena too. She was cast perfectly.