Friday, May 29, 2009

The great act of Nixon

The acting in this play was fantastic. I really did not know what to expect, when I first walked into it then I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. I thought the acting was going to be alright but wouldn’t be that dead on. When I was sitting there it felt like I was actually watching one of Nixon’s speeches or one of his famous interviews.
When looking through a few of the actors resumes I discovered that most of them have a pretty extensive background. Bill Christ, who played Richard Nixon, had worked Off-Broadway, Broadway, Denver Center Theater Company, television, and film. He had his fair share of experience with acting and was able to really fit the character. He didn’t look perfectly like Nixon up close but he sounded exactly like him. From where I was seated he did look a great deal like Nixon. When they just put him on the big screen the audience could see how he really was able to portray Nixon’s emotions during the crucial parts of the interviews.
David Townsend, who played David Frost, also had his share of an extensive background with Off- Broadway acts and training at The Juilliard School. He had a really difficult task like Bill having to not only act like a different character, but sound like him too. He had to perform with a British accent. On top of that, he had to act on stage almost more then anyone else, keeping the accent the whole time. His emotions and facial expressions were just as phenomenal too. He had to be even more dead on most of the time cause he was put on the big screen and his facial expression were present to the whole audience.
Adam Ludwig, who played Jim Reston, had the most experience in the television and film industry. He played a very important character in the play as one of the main actors and as a narrator. He was required to be on stage almost the entire time even if he didn’t say anything. This meant he had to be in character the entire hour and forty-five minutes. He played a very characteristic writer that required great voice and articulation skills and emotional actions. He nailed it to a T. The other actors did a really good job too. There were a few more significant characters in the play that did an excellent job they just didn’t stand out to me quit as much.
Overall I would say this was the best play that we watched. It had everything I would want in a play and more. I wish I could have seen again with a video camera so I could have the moments captured for all time. The actors preformed brilliantly. This comes to show you never judge a book by its cover.

No comments: