Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Design- From the Inside

Okay, so the cool thing about writing about the design elements of Antigone is that I got to see the process of how they all came together. I've got the inside track, if you will. So here goes.


I thought our costumes for this show were awesome. As always, our designer, Sumi, did a great job with them. They all seemed the perfect cross between modern and period. Creon's headband was a nice touch; it hinted at his position without being too over the top. The nurse's outfit was simple and rather plain, just the way I thought it should be. And the guard uniforms actually looked official. I still have mine! But they wouldn't let me buy the hat or boots. I'll have to replace them... And I know it's not exactly costuming, but they were even so true to the spirit of the show to make sure that our hair fit. They sent me off to get an actual military haircut, and Tim (Haemon) was shipped off to the cosmetology department for a trim as well.


Another thing that I really enjoyed was the way that the stage was set up. The design of the set was fantastic. It was simple, just a square stage with four posts, but it worked really well. The designs on the floor were entrancing (at least to me... ooh, a butterfly!). And the most notable aspect of the way the staging was done, I loved the fact that the show was in the round. As an actor, I've never performed a show this way, but I can definitely see its appeal, especially in a space as intimate as our black box theater is. Though I'm sure that it was a different directing experience than most, as Rick was dealing with a 3D stage picture rather than a flat proscenium one.


And I really enjoyed the props that we used. There weren't many of them, but they were effective. The cards really gave a picture of who the guards were, playing cards while for the rest of the characters the world is crumbling around them. Not unlike Nero, I thought. I don't know where they got those handcuffs, but they were exquisite. Although they were continually pinching Antigone. (Sorry, Heather...) And all the rest were great too, from the handkerchiefs to James' notebook.


All in all, the design of this show worked hand in hand with the script to create a picture of tragedy that captured the spirit of Antigone excellently. Kudos to all those who helped us make it work.

4 comments:

James said...

great hair cut btw

Ben said...

Thanks, man.

Tracy said...

sounds good:)

Tracy said...

I agree, the costumes were very good. They went very well with the time period and they all looked great on each person.