Sunday, April 12, 2009

Acting on the Street


While watching Louie's at 1st and Main, my feelings tended to vary. Overall, I was amused. However I feel that the execution of this show was lacking connection and passion from the majority of the actors. Don't get me wrong, there were some good strong parts. Most of those were scenes including Tessie. I believe that her role was the most convincing and vulnerably accurate. I have definitely seen many people like her in the streets of Portland. The actress, Dalene Young, had great use of comedic timing and conviction to her character. For example, her conversation with the little girl, Romy.
 
On a different note however, I felt as though the actor who played Louie had so much room to expand his character. He physically was a good pick for the role, but, he seemed rather cold and disconnected for someone who is supposed to be Dimitri's best friend. His choices made a little more sense once it was revealed to us that his identity was a pigeon. Yet, I still craved more from his acting. Instead of appearing like he was observing and watching (like we have all seen so many birds do), he just looked bored. However, his interactions with Dimitri were cute and witty, he just could have picked up the pace a bit more. 

 Another character that I was not satisfied with was Officer Charles. While his character was supposed to be static and embody those people who don't give a second look to homeless people, I felt that all he did was yell. But, he was not all bad. In the scene when Dimitri and Louie had passed on, his callous disregard for a human life shined through brightly.
I did appreciate what the cast and crew were trying to share with us. I think that the text was interesting and worth performing. The actors just needed to showcase more human connection and a quicker pace. 

5 comments:

Topher/Chris said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you in each of your analyses of the characters you've chosen. Especially Officer Charles, one can come across as intimidating without always resorting to yelling. In fact, I'd be more intimidated by an officer who used his stature (both physical and legal) than his commanding voice.

Moulin Rouge Girl(Ember) said...

I thought the exact same thing about Louie. I kept wanting more from him but it never came. Even after finding out that he was in fact just a pigeon, his character and ability just screamed to have him do more.

Anonymous said...

I'll echo what the two comments before me said. Bummer, I was hoping they would've have already written what I was going to wrote! But mainly what I was going to say was that I also wanted more from Louie but it never came. I think a lot of people might've felt that way too.

Anonymous said...

Yes Louie's character was very boring and seemed like he wasnt trying. Though I do agree that after his reveal it made a little more sense. But is that what he was trying to do or is that just how he acts?
Heather

AlexAshton said...

I completely agree with pretty much everything! Though, as I mentioned in someone elses blog, that I did not like the character of Tessie. Yes, she does portray homeless people, I felt it was unnecessary to the story. But yes, officer charles yelled way to much. it was actually quite distracting.