Saturday, April 11, 2009

"Integrity"

When there are so many views in critiquing a piece of art, it can be hard finding the inspiration for critiquing just one aspect. When I felt the push of the dialogue of "Louie's At First and Main." it was apparent I found what I was looking for.
"Louie's at First and Main." a story of a homeless man named Dimitri who was dealt a bad hand in his life, so bad in fact that he lost his job and everything that's dear to him. He ends up finding refuge in an alley with only one possession of his own and his friend Louie (a shy guy with no shoes who ends up being a pigeon). As the world turns he is cast in and out of disapproval by his neighbors who don't really care about him until he becomes an inconvenience, other wise he lives his days, as Dimitri says,"invisible to the world around him."
The fact that the story was well thought up was the the first thing that came to my attention. The script (though I have not read it) seemed to be very original a one of a kind idea. When I first heard of this play believe me I had my doubts, though I did not think it was going to be a boring play I did think how could they make this subject entertaining. To my delight the playwright did a wonderful job.
In example of this well crafted piece of art. In the shadow of a very dramatic subject it redeems itself with its quick wit and random subjects brought on by an innovative game of conversations, where Louie and Dimitri pick one topic to talk with one another until its completely exhausted of material to talk about. These fun aspects keep you on your toes wanting more and add the much needed comedy relief. If the comedy weren't there you have a hard time following the story for they help create the essential back round of the characters.
In light of it all the dramatic elements were tastefully done as well. Although it sometimes dragged on a bit I was still able to follow where the story was going. With the help of quotes from scripture, politics, and a little history brought on by a very humble and intelligent Dimitri gives light to the deeper goings of his own past.
In the end I fell for this character as well as have a better understanding of myself and a major respect for all those living on the streets. I encourage all to see this story with open eyes and open hearts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your comment about not knowing what to expect about the play but I liked it. I'm glad there was a character like Tessie in the play (I'm assuming what is called a 'comic relief') to keep me wanting more of the play.

Alisha said...

Sterling--I like your analysis of the script, especially the insight it gives to the character of Dmitri. You gave some good examples. Yes, I agree, these things provided a lot of helpful information about Dmitri's background and intelligence. The playwright handled this quite well.

Topher/Chris said...

I totally agree that some of the dramatic elements tended to drag on just a little bit. But it's a good thing this production had some very effective comic relief to balance it out in some of Dimitri and Louie's topics and we can't forget about the superb cat-lady, Tessie, now can we?

pat said...

I like what you said about people only caring about a homeless man when he becomes a problem. The questions that the pigeon and him would play with were unusual but they made it work.